Wednesday, May 09, 2007

music = difficult

Thought I would try and start posting again as I'm sick of opening everyones blogs at once into tabs in Firefox and seeing mine first with a post written ages ago. I wonder if anyone still looks here, I guess I will find out..

Not much of interest to report really. I've started learning guitar, well I say started, I've had a guitar for several years now but it was only when Annalise bought me a second one that I decided I should really learn a chord other than G, so I've started getting lessons. It's like being back in school. My teacher does a seemingly huge amount of preparation for each lesson. Finding songs I like, transcribing them, and even recording himself playing the simplified version. I've had 5 so far, currently learning the Johnny Cash version of "I see a darkness" by Will Oldham. It's got some barre chords in, who invented those? I've definitely improved my strumming but my chord changes still have a way to go. I've started reading 'Guitar Man' by Will Hodgkinson, a journalist who gets to his mid-thirties and decides to learn guitar, but rather than going to a teacher round the corner, he gets lessons from his favourite guitarists, including Johnny Marr and PJ Harvey, hmm, I wonder if there are room for 2 almost identical books on the market, I'd love to get taught by these people.

If only we could perfect Matrix-esque downloaded learning, man, I'd be so good at guitar and samurai swording by now!

3 Comments:

Blogger Tom P said...

I haven't played guitar with any consistency for ages but I'm pretty sure all the skills from time I'm spending with guitar hero are going to be transferable. (i.e. not sneezing during the middle of a song, ignoring the telephone and in extreme cases putting off going to the toilet until I get 5 stars on cowboys from hell)

12:05 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

Or you could ask Will. Right now I'm being subjected to the same 4 bars of the Smiths played very slowly over and over again. Thanks for re-joining us Scolar! Also do you want to come to Will's birthday?

7:48 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

I've already emailed to say yes, sounds ACE! Check Will's email..

1:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home